|“IN THE EVENT OF AN ERROR, YOU SHOULD SPEAK WITH THE HEAD ENGINEER.”|
|The following page is still a work-in-progress. We apologize if this page is lacking information. Please bear with us as we try our best to make improvements and add more information to this page.|
Robots are common residents in the world. They are shown to have a wide range of jobs, including transportation, exploration of otherwise impassable areas, as guards or protection, and many others. However, some simply serve as companions or employees.
- Rowbot #310
- The World Machine
- Many unnamed robots
Laws of Robotics
- A robot may not injure a living person, or, through inaction, allow a person to come to harm.
- A robot must obey the orders given to it by people, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
- A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
Although most robots do not have free will, a robot can be tamed, granting it much more flexible programming. To be tamed, an organic being must spend much time with the robot, and care about it as if it were alive. This is the only known way to give a robot any kind of free will.
Silver was one of the first attempts to create a tamed robot. However, because of contradictions in her code, she went 'rogue' and presumably broke the Laws of Robotics. The World Machine is a similar situation to Silver, as it believed it must put Niko through harm if it were to follow its programming. This resulted in the creation of squares as the World Machine's attempt to shut itself down. Only after the events of Solstice did a solution present itself.
Known Tamed Robots
- The World Machine
- According to Rue, a robot can never confuse itself for a living being.
- The laws of robotics in Oneshot is the same as the "Three Laws of Robotics" devised by Issac Asimov.
- There is a zeroth law of robotics that states "A robot may not harm humanity, or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm." However, this law is never stated in-game.